Smooth Ambler Contradiction Bourbon
Staff Pick

Smooth Ambler Contradiction Bourbon

Item # 32768 750mL
$43.99/ Single Bottle
$263.94/ Case of 6

Tasting Notes

We know better than to think twice about snatching up a limited release from Smooth Ambler. What seems like a contradiction is more like a reasonable solution to a problem we all wish we had: having too much great whiskey on your hands. For this expression, the team in West Virginia blended 73% of a nine-year-old high-rye bourbon from MGP in Indiana with 27% of their own two-year-old wheater. This whiskey gives the phrase "Bang for Your Buck" new meaning, bold and rich with a classic profile, there are also layers of complexity mixed into the fold. Not surprisingly, there is no contradiction in the quality here.

Need Help Deciding? Get personal recommendations from our staff

Staff Pick Notes

Sometimes bourbon can be tiresome. There I said it! Sometimes it feels like sifting through the same flavors over and over again hoping to find a speck of individuality. Luckily there are still bourbons out there that make me eat my words. The Contradiction is 73% a 9 year old high rye bourbon from MGP and the remaining 27% is a 2 year old wheated bourbon made by Smooth Ambler. The aroma is a potpourri of apples, cherries, sandalwood, and dry mint. The palate shows off both the rye and wheat. Initially tasting of sweet grass, then dry and spicy on the mid-palate, and lastly a long finish of dark roasted coffee. This whiskey is anything but mundane.

- SD

Sign up for our emails
Receive 10% Off Your First Order
Sign up for our emails


Offer available to new subscribers. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Does not apply to items on sale, solid cases, corporate orders, or orders containing an item priced at more than $10,000.