Baron d'Auvergne, Oeil de Perdrix
Staff Pick

Baron d'Auvergne, Oeil de Perdrix - NV

Item # 37546 750mL
This item is currently out of stock.
Send me an email when this is back in stock.
Color
Vintage
NV
Country
Region
Sub-Region
Producer
Grape Variety
This item is being featured in a tasting on: tasting date
This item is featured in: WineClub
This item is featured in AstorCenterClass at Astor Center

Tasting Notes

The Baron d'Auvergne family domain started in 1923. This formidable Champagne is the type that doubles as an apéritif wine yet works incredibly well at the table. Oeil de Perdrix refers to the pale pink hue of the wine which is mostly based on Pinot Noir with 20% Chardonnay. This comes from the Grand Cru village of Bouzy.


Need Help Deciding? Get personal recommendations from our staff

Staff Pick Notes

This Champagne is quite a thing to behold. Its rose gold color does not come across in photographs. Created using techniques from the middle ages, a minimal amount of Pinot Noir skin contact gives it its alluring color. It's produced in the unintentionally comical Grand Cru village of Bouzy (you can't pay for that kind of marketing!) that's revered for its Pinot Noir, which makes up 80% of this wine, the other 20% being Chardonnay. It is bursting with an enticing combination of raspberry and Morello cherry with a touch of yeast and tangy cream on top of an elegant yet assertive mousse. A marvelous wine that deserves to be drunk on an occasion to match!

- HW

Astor's Glossary of Terms

Pinot Noir

The Burgundy region of northeastern France is the historic home of the Pinot Noir grape, and is the source of the world’s greatest examples. Here one finds renditions of Pinot Noir that deliver power with finesse and grace, wines that have unimaginable depth of flavor, yet are perfectly balanced and ephemeral in the mouth - in short, wines that deliver all that Pinot Noir has to offer. Terroir,...

Read More

Champagne

Champagne is finally getting the recognition it deserves as a brilliant food wine. For consistency and quality, turn to the big Champagne brands and you’ll never go wrong. Remember that “Non-Vintage” (NV) is not a dirty word here: NV Champagnes are blends of wines from the best growing seasons. But if you can find one, try a Champagne made by a Grower-Producer. These winemakers control every...

Read More

Chardonnay

From Champagne to Chablis, it's hard (not to mention unpleasant) to avoid this famous white variety. During a huge popularity surge beginning in the late 1980s, Chardonnay plantings have increased dramatically -- not only in California's wine country, with which the variety is nearly synonymous, but also in Burgundy (its original, Old World home) and just about everywhere else in the winemaking...

Read More

Sign up for our emails
Receive 10% Off Your First Order
Sign up for our emails

*required

Offer available to new subscribers. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Does not apply to items on sale, solid cases, corporate orders, or orders containing an item priced at more than $10,000.