Ch. La Tour de l'Evêque

Côtes de Provence, Provence, France

Provence, France The Sumeire Family, who has been the owner of Font-Freye (a part of which has recently been sold) since 1933, acquired this large estate in 1958 near Pierrefeu, in the Var. Formerly belonging to the clergy as the summer residence of the archbishops of Toulon, this property is peculiar in that it bears two names: Château La Tour de l’Evêque and Château La Tour Sainte Anne. Its past is part of the history of Provence and France. Queen Mary, Countess of Provence, gave privileges on this land to the inhabitants of Cuers. Régine Sumeire has always heard it said that in the old days there was no water at La Tour, because when the lady of the manor’s husband left for the crusades, she poisoned the well with her tears... A few centuries later, Gabriel Sumeire, put an end to this curse. With his visionary genius, he linked the property to the fabulously abundant Font-Freye spring conveying the water by gravity to the Dauphins fountain. Roger Sumeire, who was in charge of the family estates from 1946 and who worked in close collaboration with his father Gabriel, carried out works on a vast scale to build dry-stones walled vine terraces.

Sign up for our emails
Receive 10% Off Your First Order
Sign up for our emails

*required

Offer available to new subscribers. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Does not apply to items on sale, solid cases, corporate orders, or orders containing an item priced at more than $10,000.