The De Vinne Press Building was designed by the architectural firm Babb, Cook, & Willard and was completed in 1886. Conceived for Theodore De Vinne, an American printer and scholar on typography, the building, located at 399 Lafayette Street in the NoHo district of Lower Manhattan, is a brick structure in the Romanesque Revival style. An addition was made to the building in 1892. Theodore De Vinne died in 1914, and his printing operation ceased in 1922. The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1966 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. According to public record, the building was purchased by the late Edwin Fisher in 1982.
The De Vinne Press Building has been identified as “among the most sophisticated works of masonry in New York.”