Takamine 8yr Koji Japanese Whisky
Staff Pick

Takamine 8yr Koji Japanese Whisky

Item # 44855 750mL

Named after a 19th Century professor, Jokichi Takamine, who patented a whisky making technique where the ancient use of koji in sake brewing was used to malt the barley for whisky instead of the typical western methods. His innovation has been revived by the Shinozaki family, brewers and distillers on Japan for hundreds of years with whisky production dating back over the past two decades. This excellent flagship release was made from koji malted barley that was double pot distilled and aged in casks of new white American Oak fashioned at the Ariake Cooperage in Miyazaki as well as ex-Bourbon casks. The barrel entry proof was a very low 86.7% abv, meant to preserve as much original flavor as possible, so even proofed down to 80, this is still a nearly cask strength bottling.

$99.99/ Single Bottle
$599.94/ Case of 6
Enter a delivery zip code
Check Availability
Free shipping on first web orders over $299
available for pickup by 3PM Sunday Pick-up this item at our shop!
This item is featured in a tasting on: tasting date
This item is featured in: WineClub
This item is featured in AstorCenterClass at Astor Center
Need Help Deciding? Get personal recommendations from our staff

Staff Pick Notes

Dr. Jokichi Takamine first applied Koji to American Whiskey in the 1890s. What is Koji, you might ask? Well, to be blunt it’s a mold. The same mold that makes your favorite miso or your favorite brand of soy sauce. Here, the mold's enzymes convert the natural starches of the grain into sugar. Shinozaki Distillery has revived this process to make their whiskey. This whiskey uses 40 percent Koji-fermented barley while the other 60 percent is made up of steamed barley. Pot-distilled twice, this whiskey goes into barrel at 86.7% and is matured in virgin American oak and ex-bourbon barrels. On the nose, this whiskey shows jasmine, baby powder, and lemon verbena with hints of butterscotch. On the palate, it’s full of citrus peel, vanilla, and pink peppercorns.


Sign up. Get 10% Off.

Get a promo code for 10% off when you sign up for our emails.


Offer available to new subscribers. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Does not apply to items on sale, solid cases, corporate orders, or orders containing an item priced at more than $10,000.